Skip to Main Content

External dispute resolution

If you've got a complaint about something that a credit provider or credit reporting body has done, and you haven't had much success speaking directly to the business, you can complain to the business' external dispute resolution service; these are independent bodies who look into complaints.

All credit providers and credit reporting bodies must be a member of an external dispute resolution service. The right service to complain to will depend on which type of credit provider, or which credit reporting body, you are complaining about. Don't worry if you think you might complain to the wrong external dispute resolution service; they'll make sure you go to the right one.

If you have a credit reporting-related complaint, you can complain to either the external dispute resolution service or the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.

  • Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman (TIO)

    For dispute resolutions concerning telephone and internet service providers. 

    Call: 1800 062 058 (Complaints can be lodged online. See the website for more information)

  • Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS)

    Financial Services including: banking, credit, loans, general insurance, life insurance, financial planning, investments, stock broking, managed funds, pooled superannuation trusts, estate planning, estate management and trustee services.

    Visit: External link
    Call: 1300 780 808 (Complaints can be lodged online. See the website for more information). FOS doesn’t provide legal or financial advice. Information about community legal and consumer advocacy assistance is available on their website.

  • Credit & Investments Ombudsman (CIO)

    Financial services providers who are a member of CIO, including, non-bank lenders, finance brokers, credit unions, building societies, debt collection firms, financial planners, trustees, servicers, aggregators, mortgage managers. 

    Call: 1800 138 422

Ombudsman services in your state:

Digital Agency: Spark Green