Dispute resolution

Credit providers and credit reporting bodies are required to respond to errors that you bring to their attention. They will do this using an internal dispute resolution process and, if this is unsuccessful, their external dispute resolution scheme, such as an industry Ombudsman scheme. There is no charge to you for either of these steps.

Internal dispute resolution

If you’re not happy with a decision your credit provider makes about a credit reporting matter – for example, if they refuse to remove or fix a default listing on your credit report which you believe is false – you will need to first take the matter to their internal complaints section (also known as their internal dispute resolution or IDR team).

If you are not satisfied with the IDR team’s decision or the way it is handling your complaint, you have the right to approach your credit provider’s external dispute resolution (EDR) scheme. 

External dispute resolution

All credit providers who provide information to credit reporting bodies must be part of an EDR scheme. You have the right to lodge a dispute with your credit provider’s or credit reporting body’s EDR scheme if you’re not happy with how they addressed your complaint during the internal dispute resolution process.

External dispute resolution is free for consumers and is independent. 

If your credit provider is a bank or other financial institution, contact the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) on 1300 780 808 or the Credit & Investments Ombudsman (CIO) on 1800 138 422. You can find out which EDR scheme your credit provider belongs to by calling the credit provider or speaking with either FOS or CIO who can confirm whether the credit provider belongs to their EDR scheme. 

For telecommunications companies, contact the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman. Call the Energy and Water Ombudsman in your state or territory if you have concerns about utility bills.